May 8, 2020
Everything You Wanted to Know about David Adjaye, MCA Denver's Building Architect
Did you know the architect of MCA Denver’s building has been knighted by Queen Elizabeth, honored by President Barack Obama, lauded by Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince, received backing for a project from five living former British Prime Ministers, and commissioned for a cathedral by the President of Ghana, among other accolades?
Denver is so fortunate to be among the cities that have benefitted from Sir David Adjaye’s vision. Clearly, his impact on art and architecture extends well beyond 1485 Delgany Street. Other projects around the globe include:
- Gwangju River Reading Room - Adjaye and writer Taiye Selasi collaborated to create a memorial to the students in South Korea who lost their lives at a pro-democracy demonstration in 1980.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture - a symbol for the African-American contribution to US history and identity.
- A memorial dedicated to South African trumpeter Hugh Masekela - known as Bra Hugh, he wrote anti-apartheid songs Soweto Blues and Bring Him Back Home, as well as pop hits like Grazing in the Grass, which reached number one in the US charts.
- Nobel Peace Center in Oslo - a place where you can experience and learn about the various Nobel Peace Prize laureates, as well as the remarkable history of Alfred Nobel.
- Abrahamic Family House in Abu Dhabi - an interfaith complex that will contain a church, mosque, and synagogue to encourage "peaceful co-existence and acceptance" of the three Abrahamic faiths Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.
- Mass Extinction Memorial Observatory - Adjaye’s plans for a monument in memory of extinct species was slated to open in England in 2019. It is a stone spiral housing an information and exhibition center for the nearly 1,000 species identified as extinct since the 17th century.
- National Cathedral of Ghana - will serve as a combined community hub and place for worship, featuring a series of chapels, a music school, art gallery, and a bible museum.
- UK National Holocaust Memorial - a collaborative architectural project, it will be the first significant building in the UK dedicated to the Holocaust.