May 3, 2019
100,000 Visitors of the Year (A Record!!!)
We celebrated our 100,000th visitor of the fiscal year last night in true MCA Denver style - with confetti, kazoo players, costumed staff members, and professional dancers.
“Sure, we could have done the traditional balloon drop, but that’s not who we are. We are a random assortment of dancers, musicians and costumed staffers serenading our visitors to the tune of Beyonce’s ‘Crazy in Love.’ Because we do love our visitors and we value their love for us,” said MCA Denver Mark G. Falcone Director and Chief Animator Adam Lerner.
“The last five years in particular have brought significantly increased attendance each year but this is the first time we’ve ever reached 100,000 visitors in a single year. There’s so much going on at MCA Denver in any given week, from quirky events to world-class exhibitions. Our staff has a seemingly endless capacity to create dynamic experiences for our visitors, which continually surprise and delight me,” he continued.
“I love the MCA and am so excited to be the 100,000th visitor. I hope I’m also the 200,000th visitor and can’t wait to see what you plan for that,” said visitor Ann Swanson, who was presented with a sash that read “Keeping it 100,000” and an annual MCA Denver membership.
MCA Denver by the numbers:
- Attendance has increased 159% in five years, from 38,557 in 2014 to 100,000 in 2019, with two months left in the fiscal year. Last year’s attendance was 89,484.
- Youth attendance is projected to increase to 15,000 in the current fiscal year, up from about 13,000 last year and about 5,000 in 2014.
- Approximately 30% of the MCA Denver audience in under age 25.
- 32,824 total beverages consumed in FY19, including 803 kombuchas, 1,443 cups of coffee, and 8,904 beers. Also, 956 cookies have been eaten.
- 108 blind dates (that we know of) since January.
- 318 kazoos played this year.
- 1,200 rolls of toilet paper used.
- Countless selfies taken.