Visitor Services Staff - Gallery Attendant
Please note: We aren't currently hiring for this role, but you can apply for future consideration!
We are looking for a customer service-minded individual to assist museum-goers navigate the gallery spaces, communicate museum policies and offer interpretive assistance for the exhibitions to ensure that visitors have an enjoyable experience.
This position is part-time 20 hours per week and is based out of our downtown Denver museum location.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Priority 1: Customer Service
- Be available as a Visitor Service front line presence in the Museum galleries and attend to visitor needs.
- Maintain a friendly and welcoming visitor environment.
- Lead educational tours.
- Act as knowledgeable base about the artists and exhibition on view.
Priority 2: Safety & Security of Exhibitions
- Be attentive to visitors in gallery spaces, alerting on management to any safety concerns or emergency situations.
Priority 3: Collaboration
- Attend ongoing training/enrichment classes pertaining to customer service, Museum operations, and art interpretation.
Education: High School degree required. College degree preferred, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
Experience: Requires minimum of 1 year of experience in customer service. Knowledge or interest in contemporary art and culture and experience working in a cultural institution is strongly preferred. Basic database experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Requires excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, oral communication skills, and attention to detail. Requires the ability to work as part of a team, with individuals from diverse backgrounds and with disabilities, and excellent reliability, hospitality, and interpersonal skills.
Schedule Availability: Days, evenings & weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to speak, understand, and communicate in English and Spanish languages effectively. Ability to hear adequately in person, in personal and group settings.
Ability to work with, and process information from, a variety of individuals and media (e.g. computers, projected images, printed materials), and sitting and/or standing up to 6 hours per day.
Mobility necessary to access various offices and a wide variety of meeting and museum settings. Mobility necessary to perform a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending and twisting, occasionally climbing stairs or using an elevator, possibly reaching chest high and overhead for materials.
Ability to reach for, move and/or lift up to 10 pounds and the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA Denver) is a nonprofit organization providing an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges, creating understanding and dialog about the art of our time. MCA Denver is paving a new path for a 21st-century museum that is Both/And: We are both advancing the field of contemporary art and providing a platform for creative expression, in the broadest sense of the term. We present both world-class exhibitions and quirky events, serious lectures and epic parties. We are both sophisticated and unpretentious. We welcome all audiences, celebrate all voices, and share all stories to provide one-of-a-kind experiences for our community.
Our Core Values
- Adventurous – We are risk-takers. We are creative, open, curious, and sometimes weird.
- Excellent – We strive to be the best in our field, we have high expectations, we believe in being resilient, creative problem-solvers, and professionals.
- Human-Centric – We are collaborative. We strive for emotional intelligence, and we value relationships.
- Inclusive – We are welcoming to all audiences, voices, and stories. We believe in being authentic and inclusive. We actively seek and engage with diverse perspectives.
MCA Denver was founded in 1996 by philanthropist Sue Cannon and a group of committed volunteers and artists who responded to the community’s need for a contemporary art museum in Denver. In 2007, we opened our new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in the Riverfront neighborhood of Lodo Denver. Our building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a gift shop, an innovative art lending library, and a rooftop bar and café. Visit us at https://mcadenver.org to learn more.
- This is a non-exempt, hourly position starting at $15.87/hr
- We like to receive electronic applications but will accept applications by mail. Please submit a resume, cover letter by hitting the button below. No relocation assistance is offered for this position.