Food & Beverage Shift Leader & Event Captain
MCA Denver is seeking an organized, passionate individual to be a part of our Food & Beverage team. Ideal candidates find joy in ensuring a delightful and singular experience for visitors and event hosts on the rooftop of the downtown museum and at the Holiday Theater on Denver’s Northside. This role is responsible for the excellent execution of daily food and beverage operations, public and private hosted events at both locations. Working collaboratively with event hosts, internal programming staff, food & beverage staff, visitor services staff and external vendors the Shift Leader & Event Captain ensures proper advance preparation and smooth day-of operations. On-site evening and weekend hours are required, so a flexible schedule is necessary.
The position is full-time 32-40 hours per week, non-exempt and includes benefits.
- You are a hospitality enthusiast and enjoy creating elevated and spectacular experiences for MCA visitors and event host clients.
- You have the desire to work with a creative, diverse, and collaborative team while bringing excellent organization and communication skills to help achieve the goals of the F&B/Event team.
- You can appreciate the intersection of art and food culture in a contemporary setting.
- You exercise sound judgement in handling emergencies and diplomacy in challenging situations.
A Day in the Life
- Warmly welcome museum visitors and event guests at both MCA Denver Fries Building and MCA Denver at the Holiday Theater. Ensures an elevated and positive visitor experience.
- Provide visitors with information about exhibitions, programs, membership, and other MCA Denver offerings.
- Diplomatically handle visitor interactions and concerns.
- Coordinate with the Visitor Services team on check-in operations for public and private events.
- Coordinate with Food & Beverage staff on bar and catering operations.
- Oversee staff members, directing the day-of assignments and schedule.
- Uphold MCA food and beverage safe handling policies and operational expectations.
- Assist in training, coaching and motivating food & beverage staff members.
- Accept deliveries, set up catering and bar stations as needed.
- Perform facility opening and closing procedures.
- Assist with performing monthly inventory.
- Maintain knowledge of MCA Denver Museum and Holiday Theater operations, schedule of events, artists, and performers.
- Provide daily recap to management following each day of operations or event.
- Enact emergency and safety protocols, if necessary.
- Conduct event huddle meeting with applicable staff members prior to event start and/or museum open.
- Act as a liaison between Visitor Services and Food & Beverage departments.
- Partner with private event hosts, internal programming team and vendors to ensure the successful realization of event needs.
- Communicate and coordinate with outside caterers as required.
What You Bring to Us
- Requires minimum of 2 years of experience in a visitor-facing food & beverage related position, catering events or front of house shift leadership.
- Knowledge of or interest in contemporary art and culture and experience working in a cultural institution is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in hospitality point of sale systems and cash-handling required.
- Requires the ability to embrace, support, and integrate MCA Denver’s philosophies to promote and demonstrate our commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to speak, understand, and communicate in English language effectively. Ability to hear adequately in person, in personal and group settings.
- Ability to work with, and process information from, a variety of individuals and media (e.g. computers, projected images, printed materials), and sitting and/or standing up to 6 hours per day.
- Mobility necessary to access various offices and a wide variety of meeting and museum settings. Mobility necessary to perform a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending and twisting, occasionally climbing stairs or using an elevator, possibly reaching chest high and overhead for materials.
- Ability to reach for, move and/or lift up to 50 pounds and the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA Denver) is a nonprofit organization providing an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges, creating understanding and dialog about the art of our time. MCA Denver is paving a new path for a 21st century museum that is Both/And: We are both advancing the field of contemporary art and providing a platform for creative expression, in the broadest sense of the term. We present both world-class exhibitions and quirky events, serious lectures and epic parties. We are both sophisticated and unpretentious. We welcome all audiences, celebrate all voices, and share all stories to provide one-of-a-kind experiences for our community.
Our Core Values
Adventurous – We are risk-takers. We are creative, open, curious, and sometimes weird.
Excellent – We strive to be the best in our field, we have high expectations, we believe in being resilient, creative problem-solvers, and professionals.
Human Centric – We are collaborative. We strive for emotional intelligence, and we value relationships.
Inclusive – We are welcoming to all audiences, voices, and stories. We believe in being authentic and inclusive. We actively seek and engage with diverse perspectives.
MCA Denver is committed in policy, principle, and practice to maintaining an environment that prohibits discriminatory behavior and provides equal opportunity for all persons. MCA Denver affirms its commitment to provide a welcoming and respectful work and educational environment, in which all individuals within the museum community may benefit from each other’s experiences and foster mutual respect and appreciation of divergent views. All employment decisions at MCA Denver are based on business needs, job requirements and individual applicant qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, or belief, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), family or parental status, or any other status protected by law. MCA Denver will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
MCA Denver was founded in 1996 by philanthropist Sue Cannon and a group of committed volunteers and artists who responded to the community’s need for a contemporary art museum in Denver. In 2007, we opened our new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in the Riverfront neighborhood of lodo Denver. Our building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a gift shop, an innovative art lending library, and a rooftop bar and café. In 2021, MCA Denver will be opening a satellite location at the Holiday Theater in Denver’s Northside. This 380-seat auditorium will be the site of some of the museum’s programming and events beginning the Spring of 2022.
Visit us at https://mcadenver.org to learn more.
- This is a non-exempt, hourly tipped position. The hourly rate of pay is $17.00 + tips and includes our standard benefits package, including a medical plan, dental plan, basic term life insurance, short term disability, 403b retirement, holiday pay and generous paid time off.
- Please submit your interest via our applicant portal by clicking the button below.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will be given to those received by September 5th, 2022.