At MCA Denver, we know that our organization thrives when our people thrive and therefore, we are looking for a qualified, organized, and resourceful individual to support our people, policy, and practice strategies as well as keeping our museum’s administrative office humming.
The position is full-time with benefits and is expected to be on-site a minimum of four days a week. We are headquartered, and this position is based, in the downtown Denver area.
- You are passionate about helping small organizations thrive through both strategic and administrative support of all functions of HR.
- You enjoy the start-up mentality, creating and putting new processes in place meant to build solid foundations and scale for growth.
- You have the desire to work with a creative, diverse, and collaborative team, mostly during regular museum operating hours and occasionally some nights and weekends to support our epic programs and events.
A Day in the Life
HR and Payroll Operations
- Facilitate a great staff member experience from hire to last day activities by acting as the day-to-day HR partner and a first point of contact for all staff regarding HR matters, policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Support MCA Denver’s diverse talent recruitment strategy by:
- Facilitating the consistent application of an efficient and defined recruitment process including the support of hiring teams and candidates, assisting with screening and interviews, preparing offer letters and other activities as needed.
- Create and maintain an up-to-date and effective onboarding and orientation process for all new staff members that addresses the pillars of successful engagement including role clarity, social integration, and knowledge of culture.
- Support the performance management process; organize performance evaluation activities and timelines; maintain system set up and documentation.
- Propose and implement training and development programs and objectives; establish and maintain a staff mentorship program.
- Assist in the review and update of the Staff Handbook.
- Maintain staff member paper-based and digital files; coordinate HR record retention and facilitate annual destruction.
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations concerning employment.
- Process accurate and timely semi-monthly payroll for a staff of approximately 50 individuals.
- Maintain compliance with required labor law postings in designated areas.
- Responsible for day-to-day office operations such as fielding general calls and emails for the museum, distributing mail, and ordering office supplies; establishing and implementing office procedures.
- Maintain the internal master calendar for shared spaces, conference rooms, and public hours of operation.
- Create and maintain staff member user accounts, email aliases, workstation set up, contact lists, and organizational charts.
- Assist with planning and execution of staff member gatherings and team building activities.
- Coordinate across all departments to support the staff member lifecycle from hire to last day.
- Occasionally partner with external consultants to customize and provide staff training.
- Act as the primary liaison with external IT consultants including phones, printers, computers, and general office software.
- Liaise with facility management vendors, as necessary.
What You Bring to Us
- A college degree in Human Resources field required, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- SHRM-CP, PHR or similar certification preferred.
- Requires minimum of 5 years of experience in a multi-faceted HR position.
- Experience in career learning and development strategy is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in Payroll and HR database is necessary. Paychex experience is preferred.
- Experience applying an equitable analysis to all duties to achieve organizational goals and demonstrate MCA Denver’s commitment to diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion.
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to speak, understand, and communicate in English effectively, in person and in writing. Ability to hear adequately in person and by phone, in personal and group settings.
- You need to be able to sit or stand for up to 6 hours per day. Ability to reach for, move and/or lift up to 15 pounds and use your hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls, mobility to access a wide variety of meeting and museum settings, and to perform a variety of tasks that involve standing, walking, sitting, stooping, kneeling, bending, and twisting, climbing stairs or using an elevator, possibly reaching chest high and overhead for materials, with reasonable accommodation.
The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA Denver) is a nonprofit organization providing an innovative forum for contemporary art that inspires and challenges, creating understanding and dialog about the art of our time. MCA Denver is paving a new path for a 21st century museum that is Both/And: We are both advancing the field of contemporary art and providing a platform for creative expression, in the broadest sense of the term. We present both world-class exhibitions and quirky events, serious lectures and epic parties. We are both sophisticated and unpretentious. We welcome all audiences, celebrate all voices, and share all stories to provide one-of-a-kind experiences for our community.
Our Core Values
Adventurous – We are risk-takers. We are creative, open, curious, and sometimes weird.
Excellent – We strive to be the best in our field, we have high expectations, we believe in being resilient, creative problem-solvers, and professionals.
Human Centric – We are collaborative. We strive for emotional intelligence, and we value relationships.
Inclusive – We are welcoming to all audiences, voices, and stories. We believe in being authentic and inclusive. We actively seek and engage with diverse perspectives.
MCA Denver is committed in policy, principle, and practice to maintaining an environment that prohibits discriminatory behavior and provides equal opportunity for all persons. MCA Denver affirms its commitment to provide a welcoming and respectful work and educational environment, in which all individuals within the museum community may benefit from each other’s experiences and foster mutual respect and appreciation of divergent views. All employment decisions at MCA Denver are based on business needs, job requirements and individual applicant qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, or belief, ancestry, age, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, and gender identity), family or parental status, or any other status protected by law. MCA Denver will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
MCA Denver was founded in 1996 by philanthropist Sue Cannon and a group of committed volunteers and artists who responded to the community’s need for a contemporary art museum in Denver. In 2007, we opened our new, 27,000-square foot, environmentally sustainable facility in the Riverfront neighborhood of lodo Denver. Our building has five galleries on two floors as well as dedicated education spaces, a gift shop, an innovative art lending library, and a rooftop bar and café. In 2021, MCA Denver will be opening a satellite location at the Holiday Theater in Denver’s Northside. This 380-seat auditorium will be the site of some of the museum’s programming and events beginning the Spring of 2022.
Visit us at https://mcadenver.org to learn more.
- This is an exempt, salary position. The salary range is $60,000 to $65,000 commensurate with experience and includes our standard benefits package, including a medical plan, dental plan, basic term life insurance, short term disability, 403b retirement, holiday pay and generous paid time off.
- Please submit your interest via our applicant portal by clicking the button below.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but priority consideration will be given to those received by June 30, 2022.