PROGRAMS & MUSEOLOGY INTERNSHIP
MCA Denver offers a limited number of internships for creative, hardworking and reliable undergraduates and graduate students interested in performing a variety of museum-related tasks. Internships are offered each semester for academic credit.
WHAT IS IT?
The Programs and Museology Interns assist with the logistics, preparation, set-up and implementation of programs and events. Interns also assist with development and organizational projects, including memberships and database maintenance. Interns will gain an in-depth understanding of educational programming and operations of a contemporary art museum.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Qualified candidate will:
Possess a strong interest in museums or contemporary art
Have excellent attention to detail
Have ability to perform multiple tasks at once
Be extremely reliable
Be able to work some evenings and weekends
Be able to dedicate 10–12 hours weekly, especially Thursday and Friday evenings
WHAT ARE THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PROGRAM?
You gain experience working with every aspect of a medium sized contemporary art museum, including working with art and artists, development, membership, programming and events. You have access to the entire staff and get the opportunity to be part of dynamic museum. You can get college credit.
WHEN DOES THE PROGRAM START?
Fall internships: late August–early December (application deadline: Jun 20)
Winter internships: mid-January–early May (application deadline: Dec 15)
Summer internships: early June–mid-August (application deadline: May 1)
WHAT DO YOU NEED FROM ME?
Resume with cover letter
One letter of recommendation
HOW DO I APPLY?
Submit your application materials to our Programs Coordinator:
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
GRAPHIC DESIGN INTERNSHIP
- Must be a current degree-seeking student enrolled at a university
- Must be a junior or senior in standing
- Must be seeking a degree in graphic design or a related field
- Must have basic working knowledge of Mac computers and Adobe design software
- Must be able to work (2) weekly shifts, 6-8 hours each shift
- Must be able to commit to a full semester
what you’ll receive
This is an unpaid internship, however you will leave MCA with several new and improved skills and an incomparable body of work to place into your portfolio. You will also have a deeper understanding of working in a museum, the print and production process and a multi-disciplinary introduction to the graphic design field, including exposure to web design, print design, interstitial collateral, social media strategy and implementation, production design, graphics archiving, front-end development and more.
Please send the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure to include your contact information.
- Design Portfolio (web-based is preferable). If you don’t have one of these yet, please state so in your cover letter.
- Official Transcript
- Two Professional References (can be an employer or professor)
- Cover Letter (please provide the information below:)
• Please introduce yourself so I can get a feel for your personality
• On a scale of 1-10, (1 being very little and 10 being expert) how comfortable are you in Photoshop? It’s okay to have little experience, you will have the opportunity to learn in this internship.
• On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in InDesign?
• On a scale of 1-10, how comfortable are you in Illustrator?
• Do you have your own laptop computer with the Adobe Creative Suite installed? If so, what version is your Creative Suite? Is your laptop a Mac or PC?
• How much time can you devote to this internship? Most colleges require 150 hours for a 3 credit internship. This would mean you would come twice per week on schedule days.
• Do you have a job or other obligations outside school?
• What are your long-term career goals?
• What would you like to walk away from this internship having learned?
• Please explain why you are a great candidate for this role.